What is Endocrinology?
Endocrinology is the specialist area of medicine which deals with the glands that produce hormones such the pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands, ovary and testicles. It is important to ensure your hormones are working correctly as they control many body functions such as our mood, concentration levels, metabolism, and even our bones. Being told you have a hormone imbalance is an understandably worrying time, especially if you receive conflicting information or your current treatment is not fully controlling your symptoms. Even if your endocrine condition is stable, it may be useful to see a specialist as many new treatments are being developed which can improve your condition.
What conditions do you treat?
I treat the following:
- Obesity, weight loss and medical management after bariatric surgery
- Gynaecological endocrinology including polycystic ovary syndrome and the menopause
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications
- Hypertension (High blood pressure), high cholesterol levels and reducing cardiovascular risk
- All aspects of thyroid disease
- Calcium disorders and osteoporosis
- Pituitary and adrenal disease
- Diabetes and endocrine disease in pregnancy